- August Birthday Celebrations : Wednesday 21st August @ 10.30am Morning tea
- Fish’n’Chip Night : Friday 23rd August @ 6pm. Our usual relaxed Friday night @ $9.00 a head.
- Craft Group : Monday 26th August @ 2pm in the private dining room
- Upcoming Monthly Dinner : 28th August, 25th September, 30th October & 27th November
- Pharmacy Guild of Australia : Medications talk Wednesday 18th September @ 10.45am-12noon at The Canterbury Centre, 2 Rochester Rd
- Vardos (Gypsy & Fold Music) : Free live music performance. Thursday 19th September @ 2pm
- Christmas Luncheon : Friday 13th December
- Installation of New Evacuation Diagram. The newly updated Evacuation Diagrams and frames will be installed this coming Thursday 22nd August. We ask that everyone takes a few minutes to
familiarise themselves with the content contained and their nearest exit and assembly area. As for the old evacuation diagrams, these will be converted into level signs due to the inability to remove them without causing damage to the walls. These works will be carried out
this Friday 23rd August.
- To comply with OHS requirements concerning cleaning chemicals, the door of the kitchen is to remain locked. To access the kitchen at any time, you should swipe at the entry with your swipe card.
- Cleaning of the slate will continue throughout the week.
- Our monthly dinner is just one week away on Wednesday 28th August. A reminder to reserve your selection(s) no later than
Monday 26th August @ 5pm.
- Any Resident wishing to raise a matter for the next Residents’ Committee Meeting on 3rd September, please put it in writing and sign, placing it in the appropriate mailbox by Tuesday 27th August.
First Man (2018)
- Tuesday 27 August, 7.30pm
- Director: Damien Chazelle
- Stars: Ryan Gosling, Claire Foy, Jason Clarke
A revealing look at the life of the astronaut, Neil Armstrong, and the legendary space mission that led him to become the first man to walk on the moon (with captions).
Balenciaga at Bendigo.
A Thursday day trip to Bendigo is being organized to view the Balenciaga Exhibition at Bendigo Art Gallery. Places will be limited so please write your expression of interest on the form at Reception. The total cost of the return trip door to door is $47.00, this includes entry to the exhibition. There will be free time in Bendigo in the immediate area to have some lunch at the gallery café or any of the numerous eateries opposite the gallery. Once we have final numbers we will be able to confirm the final date of a Thursday towards the end of September or early in October.
Launch of our ‘Feedback Form’
As part of our on-going commitment to the residents living at Hester Canterbury BASScare is reintroducing a new Feedback Form so that you can let us know how we’re going. If you have a compliment, suggestion or a concern BASScare welcomes your feedback as an opportunity to continue our commitment to providing a high level of service to our residents. The Feedback Form can be found within the brochure stand located in the mail room near reception, or you can request one from our friendly Hester Canterbury Staff. The Feedback Form will also be available on the Hester Canterbury website under resources.
Did you know…
The meaning of the phrase “AS THE CROW FLIES”. This phrase dates back to the late 1700’s or early 1800’s. Crows were thought to make straight for the nearest supply of food, and so they were sometimes brought on shipboard to Be released when the sailors wanted to head for shore. It seems they also have a sense of jurisprudence – The New England naturalist Alan Devoe wrote “The most extraordinary rites of a flock of crow are the ‘trials’ they conduct. When a crow has broken the laws of crowdom, the flock gathers in judgement, parleying sometimes for hours while the offender waits some distance away. Suddenly , the discussion ceases; there is a moment of silence. Then the flock either rises in unison and leaves or dives in a mass upon the offender, pecks out his eyes and pummels him to death”.