Newsletter 19 May
May 19, 2021
- Tuesday, 25 May 10:30am
The Residents’ Forum will be held in the Main Lounge area. The Forum is a vital communication channel to ensure that many matters can be discussed while fostering a culture of mutual interest. With this in mind it is hoped that as many Hester Canterbury residents as possible will attend.
- Thursday, 27 May 7:00pm
Hester Canterbury Monthly Dinner. Sign up sheet and menu now available on the reception desk. (Close off date Monday 24th)
- Wednesday, 2 June 10:30am onwards….
Hester Canterbury Scarf Day.
Do you have scarves you no longer wear? Here is a chance to clear yours out, replace and help raise funds for the Cancer Council of Australia. More details to follow.
Download 19 May Newsletter here:
Hester Newsletter 19 May
- A gentle reminder that after every monthly Residents’ Committee meeting the Minutes of the previous meeting will be available for your perusal and can be found in the Hester Canterbury library. If you would like the Minutes sent to you via email please contact the Residents’ Committee convener to request this.
- Please do not put any more refuse in the compost bin until further notice because it needs time for the contents to actually break down to form compost. It is also requested that only food refuse be placed in the compost bin (bigger items such as branches take too long to break down).
- If you are away or have visitors stay for a night or more please notify Alexia of this, so it can be recorded in the Evacuation Kit file. This ensures in case of an emergency the first responders have an accurate record of how many people should be cleared from the building. This type of record keeping is essential for your safety and well being.
- You may notice a potted Cumquat tree in the vegetable garden area; it has been thoughtfully donated to Hester Canterbury in memory of Jean from apartment 1.09. It will be much cherished as was Jean.
Week Three of the Autumn Menu starts on Monday 24 May.
Please place any orders by lunchtime the Thursday before.
This week in history…
- May 20th 1929
The first ever Academy Awards of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences Awards were handed out at a banquet held at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel. “Wings” was the first film to win the award for best picture.
- May 21st 1932
Amelia Earhart became the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean, she landed in Northern Ireland about 15 hours after leaving Newfoundland. Amelia disappeared while flying over the central Pacific Ocean on July 2 1937.
- May 22nd 1992
John Carson’s final appearance as host of “The Tonight Show” after 30 seasons, (between October 1962 and May 1992).
- May 23 1951
China formally annexed Tibet as an autonomous region, giving rise to a Tibetan independence movement – led by the Dalai Lama, winner of the 1989 Nobel Peace Prize.